Summer Fun = Pool Safety
Summer time is all about Fun-in-the-Sun. It is a time to play baseball, soccer, tennis, golf, but most of all it is about swimming. Swimming in the backyard or neighborhood pool. For many children it is the highlight of their summer experiences. To keep the Fun in the Sun when we are by the pool it is important to learn some facts about pool safety.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that:
- Drowning is the #1 cause of unintentional death for children ages 1 to 4.
- African-American children, ages 5 to 19, are 6 times more likely to drown in a pool than white children of the same age.
- The 4th of July Holiday is particularly dangerous for children. Each year, this holiday has seen an increase in the number of child drowning compared to any other summer week.
- 67% of drowning deaths of children ages 0 to 14 are boys.
- 73% of child drowning deaths occur in a residential pool.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission the following safety tips can help improve your pool safety:
- Learn to swim and teach your children to swim. Take advantage of swimming lessons with a certified instructor.
- Learn CPR by taking a class with the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
- Establish and enforce basic water and pool safety rules.
- Build and maintain safety perimeters (fences) around home pools and spas. Repair any broken gates or fences. Install self-locking gates around pools. Keep spas covered when no in use.
- When at the pool with children, designate “Water Watchers”. Water Watchers should maintain constant supervision when assigned. Water Watchers should not read, use their cell phones to text or play games or be otherwise distracted when watching children. Do Not rely on the pool lifeguard to watch your children.
- Have lifesaving equipment such as life rings, floats, or a reaching pole available at all times and easily accessible.
- Ensure any pool and spa you use has drain covers that comply with federal standards, and if you don’t know, ask your pool service provider whether your covers are in compliance.
- Have a phone close by at all times in case of an emergency.
Finally, take advantage of and share with family, friends and neighbors, Pool Safety information through the Consumer Product Safety Commission at http://www.poolsafety.gov.
Freeburn & Law has 12 offices conveniently located throughout Central Pennsylvania to serve its clients better. You can find an office in Harrisburg, Lebanon, Gettysburg, Carlisle, Camp Hill, Lewistown, Mifflintown, Huntingdon, and more. Our attorneys are committed to providing excellent legal service for its clients. We have been representing injury victims since 1982.Freeburn & Law Your Personal Injury and Workers’ Compensation Law Firm 2040 Linglestown Road, Suite 300 Harrisburg, PA 17110 Telephone Number: (717) 777-7777 Toll Free Number: 1-800-303-8005