Winter Driving Safety Tips: Stay Safe This Winter
Every year, winter brings more car accidents than any other month. December 2013 had the most accidents, followed by November 2013 and October 2013. In those 3 months, there were over 35,000 accidents. 26.1% of all PA car accident deaths in 2013 occurred during those three months. The harsh weather and limited daylight can cause bad driving conditions. Here are some winter driving safety tips to help keep you safe this winter:
- Get your car serviced. Make sure your battery is working, your tires are ready for winter, and your windshield wipers and defrosters are working properly.
- Don’t stop if you don’t have to. If safe to do so, slow down instead of coming to a complete stop at lights.
- Hills-Don’t stop and don’t speed up.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Slamming on your gas or break can make your car spin out.
- Drive slower and keep more of a distance between yourself and the car in front of you than you normally would.
- Prepare your car with an emergency kit.
Many driving safety tips, such as wearing your seat belt and not being distracted, are equally as important in the winter as they are during other times, maybe even more important. As with any of our safety blogs, following these tips are not guaranteed to keep you safe. Driving safety often depends on other drivers. However, following these tips will minimize your chances of getting injured in a car accident this winter. If you or a loved one gets injured, you will need to hire an experienced car accident attorney. Freeburn & Hamilton has many offices throughout Central PA and makes house calls and hospital visits to better serve our clients. Our attorneys work hard to get their clients the compensation they deserve. Call the 7’s of fill out the quick contact form on this page for a FREE consultation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys. Call the 7’s. Call 717-777-7777.